Bike Rack, 2010 © Danny Ghitis
In this series, Danny Ghitis explores the reality of life in the aftermath of evil.
Auschwitz had for a long time been a German name for the Polish town of Oświęcim and was made the official name by the Germans after they invaded Poland in September 1939.
"For hundreds of years before the German occupation, Jews and Christians lived harmoniously in the town of about 12,000. After the war, the leftover chemical factory was exploited by the new communist regime and the town grew to about 50,000 inhabitants. Now in its fourth political chapter since the 1930s, Oświęcim hangs in the balance between the rapidly developing Polish economy and its own uncertain future." Thanks to Danny for photos and text.
View the full screen magazine photo feature.